Wednesday 29 April 2009

Watching Fallow Deer


Fallow Deer (Cervus dama)

I spent an afternoon recently looking for the fallow deer in Billsmoor Park, on the edge of Coquetdale. It's a beautiful place and fills much of the ground in the centre of my title picture. You can see the wall enclosing the park taking an up hill line in the right of the picture. As might be expected, the deer are very nervous and they move around a good bit, shifting each time you get close to them, so I had a long walk to keep up with them.

Fallow Deer (Cervus dama)

The buck, pictured below, was seen on an earlier occasion and photographed from a greater distance, some 350 yards, from outside the park wall. All of the pictures were taken with my Nikon D50 DSLR camera and Nikkor 70-300mm VR zoom lens.

Fallow Deer Buck (Cervus dama)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I stumbled upon your lovely blog page, as i also live in Redesdale, near West Woodburn. I love the deer especially, but have only seen the common Roe in Northumberland. Do you know where any other species can be found?
Shelly