Saturday 29 August 2009

Common and Ruddy Darters

I was looking through the dragonfly pictures I took when I last visited Bank's Pond. You will recall that I spent quite a lot of my time there looking for Blue-tailed damselflies but I also took pictures of the Common and Ruddy Darters that were about. The first is of a male Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) ...


The following two pictures show female Common Darters, the first perching amongst Soft Rush (Juncus effusus) at the margin of the larger of the two ponds, the second perched in Hawthorn on the bridleway leading to the site ...



This final picture shows a male Ruddy Darter (Sympetrum sanguineum) ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have captured them really well Emma. There are a lot of these two species around now.

holdingmoments said...

Lovely set Emma. Especially like the male in the last.

FAB said...

Excellent comparison shots Emma.

Anonymous said...

Effective lighting on the wings in that second shot, Emma - they look really glassy.