Saturday 29 May 2010

The Wych Elm

For some time, I've been interested to learn more about our native trees and I've set myself a little challenge to find individual examples and photograph them at different times of the year.

At the beginning of May I observed this tree in the wooded land just over my garden fence. It was still in bud then but has developed nicely during the month (readers should keep in mind that Spring comes later and nature makes a slower start in upland Redesdale). Using Collins Complete Guide to British Trees and Roger Phillips' Trees in Britain as my reference sources, it is clear that this is an Elm tree, I think a Wych Elm (Ulmus glabra).

The tree coming to life in early May

The leaves have a rough upper surface, a smoother under surface and a long tapering point at the tip

The fruits are papery and presently enclose a small green seed about 2mm in diameter

The bark of one of the main branches

If my identification is incorrect, please do let me know.

4 comments:

ADRIAN said...

Another good set Emma. The new leaves are at their very best such beautiful greens.

ADRIAN said...

Love the new foliage, it's at it's very best now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma, yes it looks like a Wych Elm to me. I have seen one locally here. Its a great shame that we lost our Elm trees to that disease quite a few years ago now. I remember Elm trees in Somerset being just about everywhere.

FAB said...

Lovely post Emma. We don't have many Elms still alive around here.