Tuesday 12 May 2009

Tod Law


Tod Law
A corner of the birch woodland at Tod Law

I enjoyed my walk this afternoon around the open woodland at Tod Law, near the village of Rochester in Upper Redesdale (I say 'open woodland' because there is also a fine enclosed wood on Tod Law which I did not venture into). Birds seen included Cuckoo and Tree Pipit, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Wren, Dunnock, tits and finches. A Heron flew up from the River Rede as I approached and a Common Sandpiper flew in but neither dippers nor wagtails were about. Most of the birds were too far away to photograph except for the Dunnock.

It's the first time I've visited the woodland and I think it's probably worth a regular visit; certainly there are parts I didn't go to today which could be explored on a return visit. Wild flowers were rather limited, although there were primroses amongst the trees on the river bank and marsh marigolds under the bank itself.

Dunnock (Prunella Modularis)
Dunnock (Prunella modularis)

Dunnock (Prunella modularis)
A Dunnock (Prunella modularis) singing at Tod Law

Primrose (Primula vulgaris)
Primrose (Primula vulgaris)


The ford on the River Rede at Tod Law

No comments: